Spending time outside the house helps me study. Lately it's been local cafés and Starbucks as my basement has been distracting, what with having internet and all. Plus the fact that I've been gaming more than usual, so, you know, I need to moderate that. My solution? Borrowing my mother's old 12" PowerBook G4. The only gaming I can do on it is old school StarCraft, which takes up too much time and dedication to be a real commitment. However it does have a browser and working Airport card, so I can pull up my articles and do posts while not being tempted by things like Flash movies (Comic-Con panels, *cough*) or Netflix... the computer simply cannot run such things. The poor laptop will also not support World of Warcraft, which is a very good thing.
School is really going well, though with a few small hiccups - to be expected on my first semester back. On Thursday I am going to CUA for an on-site visit regarding their technological resources and services. I'll be writing up a blog post about it for one of my classes. If for any strange reason you're interested to read it you'll find it here. Other than that it has been a flurry of posting on discussion boards and reading rather technical things while trying to salvage my own experience. It's been fun.
Something that has really made this past week fun is... I'm prepping for Dragon*Con by making my own costumes! On Thursday I made a trip to a Joann's Fabrics (about a lovely hour drive up to Gaithersburg) and purchased fabric for 1) a pirate skirt 2) a Star Wars skirt and 3) a Marvel Comics skirt. Yeah, I think I'm going pretty simple this year as I've never made my own clothes and... well it has potential to be disastrous. I decided to do the Star Wars skirt first. Of course me being me, I had my arithmetic wrong (yes, I did graduate from second grade... shut up) and so I need to fix that one. The next skirt I made, the pirate skirt, worked out beautifully, so now I know how to fix the first one! Yay! Learning from mistakes and persevering. That's what grownups do, right? I'm just glad I figured it out. The skirt, not the... you know what, whatever. Pictures will be up later, and Dragon*Con pics will be up sometime in September.
Another thing that has helped me survive learning this new craft has been NerdHQ, Zac Levi's (you know him as our favorite Nerd Herder, Chuck) live stream from Comic-Con of panels, where all ticket costs go to charity. This weekend I totally geeked out over Adam Baldwin and Nathan Fillion doing multiple panels and auctioning off paraphernalia while and answering awkward nerd questions. I'm ashamed to say that I watched all three Nathan Fillion events live, while forcing my poor sister to not talk so I could hear over the basement dehumidifier. There was also a Psych panel and a lovely Doctor Who panel, both of which had be guffawing and giggling happily while making multiple errors with pleats. Worth it.
So life is good.
The album from 'Of Monsters and Men' is also excellent. You should listen to it. Yes, you.
School is really going well, though with a few small hiccups - to be expected on my first semester back. On Thursday I am going to CUA for an on-site visit regarding their technological resources and services. I'll be writing up a blog post about it for one of my classes. If for any strange reason you're interested to read it you'll find it here. Other than that it has been a flurry of posting on discussion boards and reading rather technical things while trying to salvage my own experience. It's been fun.
Something that has really made this past week fun is... I'm prepping for Dragon*Con by making my own costumes! On Thursday I made a trip to a Joann's Fabrics (about a lovely hour drive up to Gaithersburg) and purchased fabric for 1) a pirate skirt 2) a Star Wars skirt and 3) a Marvel Comics skirt. Yeah, I think I'm going pretty simple this year as I've never made my own clothes and... well it has potential to be disastrous. I decided to do the Star Wars skirt first. Of course me being me, I had my arithmetic wrong (yes, I did graduate from second grade... shut up) and so I need to fix that one. The next skirt I made, the pirate skirt, worked out beautifully, so now I know how to fix the first one! Yay! Learning from mistakes and persevering. That's what grownups do, right? I'm just glad I figured it out. The skirt, not the... you know what, whatever. Pictures will be up later, and Dragon*Con pics will be up sometime in September.
Another thing that has helped me survive learning this new craft has been NerdHQ, Zac Levi's (you know him as our favorite Nerd Herder, Chuck) live stream from Comic-Con of panels, where all ticket costs go to charity. This weekend I totally geeked out over Adam Baldwin and Nathan Fillion doing multiple panels and auctioning off paraphernalia while and answering awkward nerd questions. I'm ashamed to say that I watched all three Nathan Fillion events live, while forcing my poor sister to not talk so I could hear over the basement dehumidifier. There was also a Psych panel and a lovely Doctor Who panel, both of which had be guffawing and giggling happily while making multiple errors with pleats. Worth it.
So life is good.
The album from 'Of Monsters and Men' is also excellent. You should listen to it. Yes, you.
No comments:
Post a Comment