Student. Future archivist. Lover of muppets and fine yarn.

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Holden Caulfield and another shot of coffee

So. I'm taking a class in Young Adult Materials for Libraries, and one of the first readings (There's an average of about 400 pages reading every two weeks. . . one week it increases to almost 700 pages) is Catcher in the Rye. I've never read it, never planned to (except for Banned Books Week, maybe), and never entirely wanted to. However, I find myself liking it more and more. The character is very 3-Dimensional, and the themes are pretty clear. I also know someone who was exactly like the main character. . . it's strange to read a book from the perspective of someone who is so like one of my dear friends (although my friend is a bit more. . . restrained(?) than Caulfield). I'd like to hear a guy's take on this book. Salinger doesn't really put anyone in a flattering light, least of all teenage boys and the education system. I'm halfway through the book (devoured most of it this morning over my daily 1.5 hours of solitude at the local cafe before work), and I'm having a difficult time pulling my head out of it.

Also, the slang is fun. The language really grates on my nerves, though. But the slang I find quite hilarious and telling of the time. The book reads like someone recounting a story over lunch. In fact, reading the book is just like reliving my high school lunch hour again, although more happens. Reading the book, I feel like I'm being pulled into the late 1940s and receiving a snapshot of what New York was like at the time.

It's so nice to be reading for school again. Something other than a book on digital library collections and dry books on reference. As much as I love putting those things into practice, reading about them is boring to me.

Boss still hasn't come in yet. I'm listening to Death Cab and whatever my iPod has on its Genius List for me today. How I love that feature. I so <3 Apple. And Sally, my iPod Nano.

Right. Well. To work.

2 comments:

Kristi(e) said...

Something other than a book on digital library collections and dry books on reference. As much as I love putting those things into practice, reading about them is boring to me.

SO EFFING TRUE! I always get a warm tingly when I can help someone as a result of my librarianship training, but screw reading up on how to do it.

As for your review, it's phony. hahahaha jk jk

Unknown said...

lol! I really got a bang out of that.

I love helping people with reference and even just throwing them a book of American poetry for a random assignment, but studying the organization. . . CHARTS CHARTS DRY STATISTICS.

GAH.

But the good experiences are totally worth it. Even settling a dispute between two hagglers about which movie won an Academy Award for Best Picture in 1979 makes my day!