So it's been over a year since I began reconstructing my life. I think I've gotten farther than I feel that I have. I have some friends - or at least coworkers to whom I am extremely attached. I can even talk to a few of them honestly, which surprises me. It usually takes me at least two years of shared experiences before I open up, even a little. I have a gaming group that I really enjoy. We hung out for several hours yesterday, and it didn't have that awkward "this is the first time we've all hung out" feeling. It strikes me as a group that gives me the same level of nerdy kinship that Kendal and Nicky would find similarly comfortable.
She & Him just came out with a new album. Listening to it, I am reminded of my first listen to Volume One. Dublin - October 2008. One of my last European trips. Bittersweet, stressful, and downright horrible. That trip molded my last six months at home, though. I found music that pulled me through the move, voices that gave some credence to my ever-struggling emotions. I even found some literature that stays in my dreams, a play whose protagonist haunts my every step. What was the immortal line? Somehow I feel as if that hovering question sums up my world. I discovered She & Him while in an Urban Outfitters (I know, I know) in Temple Bar (I know, I know) early on a Saturday morning (I know, I know) while waiting for the market to open its book stalls. I remember having no money to buy anything in the overly-expensive hipster store but wanting to not be dodging puddles of vomit or hiding beneath a tourist bar overhang. I heard her syrupy-sweet voice and layered vocals while fidgeting with a beaded necklace and instantly forgot everything. It sounded like my favorite gospel song, like the smooth espresso I was craving that morning. . . as if something in me aligned with the lyrics she crooned. The guitar soothed my tremulous emotions and seemed to say, "It's okay."
Now, with their second album. . . It engages my emotions in a different manner. Instead of curling up in a fetal position and catching my breath, I want to stretch on the grass and soak up sun with a glass of lemonade and my hair in a kerchief. Instead of feeling soothed, I feel energized. In a very peaceful and quiet way, but it feels like a hand in the small of my back pushing me on to a new year.
It's very uncomfortable for someone who's perfectly happy and capable to live thousands of miles away and three years ago with a Mancunian poet crooning in her ear and worn flipflops catching on cobblestones.
18 hours ago
No comments:
Post a Comment