Student. Future archivist. Lover of muppets and fine yarn.

Monday, January 25, 2010

Same interests, different lives.

It's my day off. While my coworkers at work are hastening towards our daily, all-important deadline, I'm sitting here at home with my coffee and cardigan, watching The Muppets Take Manhattan. While I feel selfish and lazy, I feel so smug and whimsical I don't even feel that guilty.

Dancing rats, by the way, always funny.

I cannot fathom how wonderful my job is. My former job was so dull. . . I despised it at times. Paid well, but the work was not challenging. It was like being paid to hit my head against a wall. I've been working at the Fruit Stand now since June and it seems that I learn something every day. Not just accumulating knowledge about my work, but about people. I feel like working there has been a wonderful reintroduction to the USA. I hear different perspectives, different ideas. I know that the political views here are VERY biased, but I've found a few crazy folklore freaks and Trekkies to hang out with that quote Douglas Adams ("I never could get the hang of Thursdays.") and Indiana Jones ("He chose. . . poorly."). They make me happy. In addition to my friends, my team at work is amazing. We trust each other, we have good rapport, we love spending time together at work, and we trade cupcakes based upon allergies. This selflessness where cupcakes are concerned is a sign of good teamwork. It just strikes me as amazing that a group of people thrown together can adjust and bond so well.

If we all liked hugging, I'd hug them all every day. However, we have a very strict "NO TOUCHING" rule due to personal bubbles. This rule is rarely broken and only for special occasions (like cupcake or coffee delivery).

Okay, now I'm all psyched for work tomorrow.